Asian Breakfast Rice
Prep time: Approximately 40 minutes or 15 minutes if next day rice is used
Makes: 3 servings
- 1 cup basmati brown rice, dry
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon unrefined, extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shittake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 dried nori sheets, crushed or torn
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black or white sesame seeds
- ˝ cup roasted almonds or cashews, crushed
- Sea salt to taste
Combine rice and water in pot, cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until all of the water has absorbed. Do not stir or agitate rice during cooking. Tilt pot gently to a 45-degree angle to see whether water has been absorbed. Let rice cool for 10 minutes.
Heat skillet to medium-high, then add olive oil. Saute mushrooms for about 2 minutes. Add cooked rice and crushed nori to mushrooms and stir. Coat mixture with sesame oil and soy sauce. Top with sesame seeds and nuts. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Serve warm with a cup of ginger tea.
Copyright 2009, Genevieve Sherrow, MS, Original Recipe.
Reprinted with permission from Nourishing Foods.