Kidney Bean and Corn Salad
with Cider Lime Vinaigrette
Kidney beans and fresh corn have a sweet flavor and are good sources of protein. Paired with a cooling cider lime vinaigrette, this salsa inspired salad is great on a hot summer day.
Prep time: 15-20 minutes (salad), 5 minutes (vinaigrette)
- 1 ¾ cup kidney beans, cooked
- 3 ears of fresh corn, approximately 1 ½ cups
- ¾ cup fresh red pepper, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
Soak kidney beans overnight. Pressure cook beans for approximately 20-40 minutes in 6 cups of water. Drain beans and let cool until room temperature.
Remove husks from corn. Bring water in a pot to boil. Place corn in boiling water. Turn off heat. Remove corn after 4 minutes, let stand until corn returns to room temperature. With chef’s knife, remove kernels from cob. Combine cooked beans, corn kernels, pepper, onion, garlic and cilantro in large mixing bowl.
For the Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unrefined extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper
Whisk together all ingredients in a mixing bowl until mixture thickens slightly. Combine with kidney bean salad until all ingredients are well coated.
Original Recipes Copyright 2009 by Genevieve Sherrow