Healthy Dressing Recipes for Your Spring Salads
Shake up your salads by shaking up your own salad dressings! By measuring just a few ingredients into a small jar and shaking it up, delicious dressings can be made in minutes! These three are made with flax seed oil, a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, an essential nutrient often lacking in the American diet. Use these recipes as starters, then have fun experimenting with your own combinations. You may never buy bottled dressings again!
- 1/3 cup minced fresh dill
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey or rice syrup
- 1/2 cup flax seed oil
In a bowl or blender mix everything except the flax oil. Trickle the oil in slowly while blending or whisking vigorously, until the dressing is thick and smooth. Keep extra dressing refrigerated in a dark bottle for later use. Try it over salad, grains, vegetables, fish, etc.
- 3 tablespoons flax seed oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Whisk ingredients together and store in the refrigerator in a dark bottle. Great as a light dressing over lettuce, grains, vegetables, etc.
- 1/4 cup flax seed oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 2 to 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
Adjust the proportions to taste. For a more unique flavor add a few pinches of one or more of the following: onion powder, oregano, basil or curry powder. Be creative!
Learn more about the nutrition services provided by Bastyr Center for Natural Health.
Back to recipe index.