Warm up your kitchen with the savory smells of autumn.
Butternut Squash with Shallots and Sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices (3/4 cup)
- 1 (1-3/4 lb) butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspon freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Cook shallots and squash, stirring until shallots are softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth or water, brown sugar, sage and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally until squash is tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, pepper and salt to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4.